Explore Explore Did you know that if a 15kg dog ingests 260gm milk chocolate egg, they will display symptoms of chocolate toxicity? These include increased heart rate, tremors, seizures and extreme hyperactivity. If a 10kg dog eats the same amount of milk chocolate they risk severe toxicity symptoms of seizures, tremors, coma and even death!  Cats require even a lesser amount to suffer from ingestion of chocolate. The darker the chocolate the higher the risk of death.

This is due to an ingredients in the chocolate named “Theobromine” which is derived from cocoa beans to create the chocolate, this is what is toxic to dogs and cats.

Chocolate toxicity is less common in cats as the smell and taste of chocolate is unappealing to them.

Most white chocolate does not contain theobromine, although may contain cocoa solids, along with the high butter and sugar content, these are likely to cause stomach upset or pancreatitis and some animals may require hospitalization.

If your pet does accidently get their paws on some chocolatey treat please contact the clinic immediately on 9707 3855 to see what action to take, do not wait for signs of illness as this can often be too late to take evasive action!

The packaging from Easter eggs (foil/plastic) or left over from Easter celebrations smells great and if your pet is inclined to chew or eat these, they may run the risk of intestinal blockages. Make sure the wrappers make it to the rubbish bin and that dogs are not included in the traditional Easter egg hunt!

Hot cross buns pose a danger to animals due to the sultana and raisin content. These tasty Easter treats are delicious for us but can lead to kidney failure and severe sickness for pets, even if only a small amount is eaten. When animals ingest sultanas, raisins and grapes they can display symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and diarrhoea within 12 hours. Some animals may be more susceptible than other to kidney failure and require emergency treatment and need to be hospitalized having their kidney function monitored for up to 72 hours.

 

The season of autumn brings the arrival of Lilly and a very popular choice of flower in most bouquets.   Many variety of lily are potentially harmful to pets if licked or ingested, particularly those belonging to the “Lilium species” such as the Orange day lily or Easter lily. But also the “Hemerocallis species” or Day lily are extremely toxic to cats. These flowers will cause abnormal heartbeat, vomiting, convulsions, coma,
renal failure and death if left untreated after ingestion of the flower or leaves. It has been found that as little of two flower petals from a lily has caused the death of a cat who had eaten them.

Having a get together over Easter? BBQ food items such as sausages are a “no go zone” for dogs and cats these tasty meaty treats are so full of fatty products that it can cause great tummy upsets, vomiting, diarrhoea and worst cases pancreatitis in pets and are best avoided. Don’t be tempted to feed left over scraps to our furry friends.
The staff at The Berwick Village Vet wish you all a very happy and safe Easter break!

 

Learn more about how our team can help your keep your pet healthy.